Withdrawing from UC Berkeley

Withdrawing from UC Berkeley: What to Know



Occasionally students decide to discontinue their studies at Berkeley for a period of time after beginning a semester. This is called a withdrawal. Students withdraw for many reasons: to work, recover from an illness, attend to personal business, or find their true academic direction. Because a withdrawal affects your student status, as well as various student services, here is what you need to know to ensure that you are following official withdrawal procedures and gathering information about your eventual return to campus via readmission. Please note - Cancellation or withdrawal in summer term is different from fall and spring. For more information, see the Summer Sessions website.



  • Withdrawal: Discontinuing studies after instruction has begun for the semester.

  • Cancellation: Terminating your registration before instruction has begun for the semester.




  • Financial aid and scholarships, including Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

  • Tuition and fees

  • Housing (either on or off campus)

  • International student F-1 or J-1 visa status

  • Veterans’ benefits

  • Readmission

  • Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)



Please follow these steps:




If you do not wish to attend the next semester before instruction begins, go to CalCentral > My Dashboard > Student Resources > Add a Withdrawal Request.


New undergraduates: If this is your first semester at UC Berkeley, before canceling your registration, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions about the possibility of deferring your admission. If you cancel your registration, you will be required to submit a new admission application to attend a future semester.




Under the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the student, not a parent or guardian, must complete the process through their CalCentral account.


To initiate a withdrawal request, you must submit a Withdrawal Request Form in CalCentral > My Dashboard > Add a Withdrawal Request.


Students will receive an email confirmation to their Berkeley email when the form has been succeessfully submitted. Your withdrawal status will not be reflected in CalCentral until it is approved by your College. However, your offical effective date of withdrawal is the date you submitted the Withdrawal Request form.



It is the student's responsibility to monitor their account after submitting a withdrawal. Please make sure to do the following:

  • Monitor your balances in CalCentral for new invoices that result from your withdrawal. You are responsible for all outstanding invoices.

  • Notify the Housing office and complete its move-out checklist to avoid additional fees.

  • Keep in mind that your CalNet ID is only active for one semester after you withdraw. If you chose to return to the University, your CalNet ID will be reactivated upon official readmission.

  • Your transcript will note that you withdrew from a particular semester. A withdrawal will trigger a automatic drop off of all classes for that term and does not affect your GPA.



About tuition and fees, financial aid and scholarships, SAP, readmission, and general questions
Cal Student Central
120 Sproul Hall

Housing office
2610 Channing Way
Walk-in Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Friday

University Health Services (Tang Center)
2222 Bancroft Way


Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) Office

2222 Bancroft Way, Rm. 3200


Email: ship@berkeley.edu

Berkeley International Office
2299 Piedmont Avenue
Drop-in Advising Hours: 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday


Veteran Services
Office of the Registrar
123 Sproul Hall
Email: veteranservices@berkeley.edu


Student Advocate's Office
412B Eshleman Hall

Email: advocate@berkeleysao.org


Summer Sessions Office

1995 University Avenue, Suite 130


Email: summer@berkeley.edu