Open a Case

Have a question not covered by our website? 

Tell us how we can help and our staff will work to resolve your issue. We are on the case!


Open a case: 

After opening a case with Cal Student Central, you will receive an online confirmation and case number. Please record your case number for future reference so that you avoid opening multiple cases on the same topic (which can delay your response time). All inquiries will be replied to via email.
*Please do not submit more than one ticket for the same inquiry. We are experiencing a high volume of inquiries, and opening multiple cases may result in a longer response time than usual. Thank you for your understanding!


Questions about residency?

Please email


Technical issues with CalCentral?

Please email