Why has my full Pell Grant not paid?

Your Pell Grant is offered based on your full-time enrollment, but is disbursed based on your current enrollment. Therefore, there are times when the Pell Grant offered amount will not match the paid amount. Once you are enrolled full-time, the remaining Pell Grant will pay to your account in CalCentral.

I have moved into a new apartment this semester and my rent is higher. How can I get aid to help pay for it?

Your financial aid budget for off-campus living is based on a standard cost of attendance. If your rent is higher than our standard amount you can submit a Cost of Attendance Adjustment form for the cost of your higher rent.

My parent lost his/her job and cannot afford to help me pay this semester. How can I receive more aid?

If your family's financial circumstances have changed since you initially filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you may be able to complete a Parent Contribution Appeal form.

How many units do I need to be enrolled in to receive financial aid?

Financial aid packages are awarded with an expectation that you will be enrolled on a full-time basis (at least 12 units). Since the amount of your tuition and fees is the same regardless of the number of units you actually enroll in, your overall financial aid package is not based on actual units of enrollment. However, there are some specific awards that are unit-based and are affected if you drop below full-time enrollment.

Why do I need an SAP Appeal?

If you have been flagged as someone who has lost your financial aid eligibility due to not meeting satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements, you are not currently meeting one of the three required components of academic progress to be eligible for financial aid:  you may have already been enrolled for more than 5 years, you may have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of less than 2.0 or you may not have earned a sufficient number of units based on the number of years you have been enrolled.

What do I need to do to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is required to maintain financial aid eligibility each year. To meet the minimum requirements you must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 and earn a specific number of units for each year based on your grade level. Learn more about SAP.

How do my parents apply for a Parents Plus Loan?

To apply for a Parent PLUS Loan, your parent needs to complete the PLUS Request Process. Once the loan is approved, it will be ready for disbursement in CalCentral. Please review the Parent PLUS FAQ for additional information.

My fall financial aid is contingent upon my summer grades, and I don't have my fall aid yet. How can I get my aid released?

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will be reviewing grades for all students whose aid is contingent upon the results of the summer term in early September when the summer grades are available for review. Your financial aid eligibility will be determined after that review is completed.

When will my Cal Grant be included in my financial aid package?

If you do not have a Cal Grant in your financial aid package and you believe you are eligible for a Cal Grant, follow up with the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) to ensure that UC Berkeley is listed as your first-choice school and/or that you have submitted all other qualifying forms.


Subscribe to RSS - finaid